Food, Inc.



As some of you may know, I am a big fan of all things organic. This has been a pretty recent development in my life, spurred on by my Chiropractor, the great Ryan Osborne, Ben Lerner's life-altering book 'Body By God', and just being surrounded by Austinites for the last few years. I don't claim to have any authority on the subject, and I am still a student when it comes to matters concerning health, but it is something that I am very interested in (despite my lack of consistency and conviction at times).

My first big exposure to the 'evils' of the food empire was Morgan Spurlocks ground-breaking documentary 'Super-Size Me.' After that, fellow documentary lover Aaron Ivey informed me of a film entitled 'King Corn.' This documentary really opened my eyes to the globalization principles tainting our food system, and it revealed to me the origins of most of the foods we eat. I felt like the veil had been lifted from my eyes when I watched 'King Corn.' How can most of our food be made of corn? And not only that, but FAKE, genetically modified corn? Unbelievable.

Well my friends, Food, Inc. has taken many of the principles outlined in these films and put them into a well-produced documentary. This film is not for the faint of heart, however. There are many disturbing images of animals being mistreated and abused in the name of efficiency and turning a profit. If you want to see where your food comes from, check this movie out. It will make you think twice about what you buy and where you buy it. The film made me realize the importance of buying grass-fed beef and supporting my local farmer's market. I really hope that this film gets out into the general public. There is a glimmer of hope on the horizon that things can change, and it can only start by us making informed decisions about what we choose to eat. There is so much more to say, but I'll let the movie speak for itself. Go watch it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment